iOS is the operating system by Apple that operates on iPhone as well as iPod touch hardware. Apple had announced the 14th iteration of its operating system during its WWDC 2020 keynote. Finally, the much-awaited update has been rolled out by the company. This new update is feature-packed and includes an array of improvements to apps like Siri, Maps, Messages, etc. For Apple, privacy was one of the key concerns, and they have tried their best to make the OS much more secure.
Here is the list of compatible devices:
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
A look at iOS 14 key features
- Widgets: iOS 14 comes with some extensive updates in widgets. These widgets on the home screen are reimagined to provide an enhanced experience to the users. Now you can select widgets of preferred sizes and arrange them the way you like.
- Picture-in-Picture: It is also known as PIP video mode, is now available for iPad OS. This mode enables users to multitask while enjoying a video. You can adjust the size of the video player in PIP mode. You can also push the video player to disappear from the screen to continue listening to the audio.
- Smarter Siri: In this new version of iOS, the Apple team has focused on making Siri way smarter. Now it processes more than 25 billion requests on a monthly basis. Siri can now send audio messages to others via iMessage.
- Compact design: It comes with a compact user interface that will enable phone-calls and face-calls to take less screen space, allowing you to multitask when attending a call. Even Siri takes minimal space now, letting you do other tasks while interacting with it.
- App Library: There is a brand new app library view that makes it simple to organize the apps. Declutter your home screen view by using this feature.
- App Clips: These are an innovative way for iOS users to access and promptly experience what an app has to offer to them. These are small, lightweight, fast, and empower the users to access them. It is an initiative of the Apple team to give a comprehensive experience to the users from an app’s specific parts for specific purposes.
iOS 14 – The most secure OS
In order to tackle privacy issues, Apple has innovated several new ways that offer enhanced security. Let’s have a look at their efforts in this direction:
- Notifications for the camera and mic access: The new version of this operating system now notifies the users in realtime whenever the mic and camera get accessed by any app. With this new feature, the company has taken the initiative to provide a list of recent apps that accessed the camera or mic.
- Allow/disallow the apps to connect to the devices on your local network: A few apps like smart TV or apps for other smart devices use your local network (Bluetooth) to discover nearby phone and connect to it. iOS 14 offers a much better way to notify and control those apps.
- Empowers you to provide access to the specific photo(s): Earlier versions of iOS offered only two options when an app needed access to the photos in your phone – allow or disallow. However, now Apple has come up with an advanced feature that allows you to provide access to one or more photos, and the remaining photos will be off-limits.
- Improved location access with proximate location option: Apple has come forward with this revolutionary feature of providing access to the proximate location to apps, instead of revealing your precise location. It is a useful option where some general apps need an idea regarding your location.
- Clipboard access notifications: With iOS 14, you will get notifications whenever any apps access the clipboard. It is a crucial step towards security, as the clipboard may save credentials for banking, cryptocurrency wallets, and other sensitive data.
- Notifications for compromised passwords: When it comes to privacy, iOS 14 has gone a step further with this feature. iOS now has access to the user passwords that are acknowledged as compromised. The user gets warned based on this list. Apple has stated the use of advanced and smart cryptography behind this technique. They also stated that this database of passwords is secure and doesn’t expose the user’s passwords to Apple.